Civil Engineering is the oldest branch of engineering. Earlier it dealt with shelter but over the centuries also developed to provide services such as road, water supply, bridges, dams, structure for entertainment, and so on.
Civil Engineering virtually touches all facets of our life. Over the years, many specializations have developed are catering to the special needs of the projects such as geotechnical engineering, public health engineering., hydraulics, structure, highway engineering, bridge engineering, earthquake engineering, construction planning & management, environmental engineering, Irrigation engineering. The country is undergoing through massive expansion of infra-structure creating thousands of job opportunity for civil engineers. Realizing the growing need for civil engineers, this department at TIT, Bhopal was established in the year 2012. The department is having well qualified and experienced faculty for teaching diverse subjects of civil engineering. The yearly intake is 120. We have well- equipped labs such as Basic Civil Engineering & Engineering Mechanics Lab, Construction material testing lab, Surveying Lab, Fluid Mechanics Lab, Strength of material lab, Engineering Geology Lab etc.
Vision of the department:
To become a centre of excellence in the field of Civil Engineering by enabling students to attain domain knowledge, lifelong learning skills and ethical values to serve the nation.
Mission of the department:
M1: To create an academic ambience through competent faculty and encouraging multidisciplinary interaction. M2: To establish state of the art infrastructure facilities that will pave the dissemination of technical knowledge in the field of Civil engineering. M3: Exposing students to new tools and technologies of Civil engineering. M4: Providing an environment to actively participate in enhancing problem solving and leadership qualities and team spirit.
- PEO1: Graduates will become an established professional in the field of Civil engineering and related fields with sound ethical values. PEO2: Graduates will demonstrate all necessary engineering and scientific competence to become an engineer in the field of Civil engineering and allied fields considering social and environmental issues. PEO3: Graduates will possess solid foundation in the field of Civil engineering to be applied in their higher studies and research.
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at Large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Lifelong learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
Civil Engineering is considered to be the most versatile branch among all the engineering branches. It is the branch with a lot of diversity from Geotechnical Engineering to Structural engineering, Environmental to Hydraulics, Transportation to Hydrology, Civil Engineering can be considered as a single largest branch among all the engineering branches.
Department of Civil Engineering at TIT, Bhopal was established in 2012 and has continually upgraded itself in terms of academic quality and infrastructure including laboratories. The department appoints the finest young and dynamic faculty members for its degree program. Students are exposed to well-defined academic programs along with a host of sports, cultural and organizational activities in a vibrant and beautiful campus. The presence of experimental and computational facilities, active institute-industry interaction, national and international academic programs and industrial/research training opportunities help the students in the department to excel in the competitive professional life.
The department is committed to providing excellent in classroom infrastructure, enrichment of the academic and professional experience of students, outreach to the engineering community and society, and advancements in Civil Engineering.
Civil Engineering Laboratories
Civil Engineering Department is well-equipped with some of the most defined and technically modern laboratories to provide a superior level of practical education to its students. The laboratories are specifically designed with excellent facilities to meet the requirements of A.I.C.T.E. and University. Major labs
- Basic Civil Engg & Engg Mechanics Lab
- Strength of material laboratory
- Advance Survey laboratory
- Material testing laboratory
- Fluid mechanics laboratory
- Engineering Geology laboratory
- Geo technical Engg. Laboratory
View of few labsStrength of material laboratory :
Students perform practical to test the theory taught in the class to understand behaviour of various structures such as arches, beams, columns and trusses. The following equipment are available in the lab:
- Unsymmetrical bending apparatus
- Curved member apparatus
- Verification of Clark Maxwell’s reciprocal theorem apparatus
- Redundant joint apparatus
- Elastically coupled beam apparatus
- Deflection of truss apparatus
- Two hinged arch apparatus
- Three hinged arch apparatus
- Behaviour of columns and struts apparatus
Advance Survey laboratory : This laboratory houses advanced electronic instruments such as total station, electronic theodolite and auto level. This caters to the academic requirement of semester V. These modern equipment are being increasingly used in the survey of road and industry layout.
Fluid mechanics laboratory :
Recently we have procured following equipments:
- Digital Theodolite.
- Flow over weir apparatus
- Model for hydraulic ram and reciprocating pump
- Equipment for determination of metacentric height
- Calibration of mouth piece apparatus
Existing equipment are:
- Pipe friction apparatus
- Pipe fitting apparatus
- Bernoulli’s theorem apparatus
- Impact of jet apparatus
- Reynold’s number apparatus
CMT Lab :
CMT Lab is equipped with all the equipments like :-
- Compaction Factor Test.
- Abrasion Resistance Test (Los-Angles Machine).
- Dumpy level.
- Measuring tape and metric chain.
- Compressive Testing machine.
- Impact value.
- Crushing value test.
- Slump Core
- Vee-Bee Consistometer
Highway Material Testing laboratory :
Highway Material Lab is equipped with all the equipments like:
- CBR testing machine.
- Marshal stability testing machine
- Ductility Testing machine
- Penetrometer Equipment
- Striping Value Apparatus
- OMC/MDD determination etc
FUTURE OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Future prospects of Civil Engineering Increase in population along with increasing urbanization has facilitated the need for sustainable and efficient infrastructures. Rise in non-residential projects including sewage & waste disposal, transportation, education, streets & highways, and water supply are major contributors results in large number of jobs. Development in several areas such as green buildings, sensor-embedded roads & buildings, Geo-polymer concrete, and water management will result in global growth of civil engineering industry.
Following Students Qualify GATE Examination 2019
S.N Name Roll No. Marks Gate Score 1 Brijendra Raghuwanshi 0111CE151037 42.79 515 2 Deepanshu khare 0111ce151040 37.22 460 S.N Name Roll No. Marks Gate Score All India Rank 1 Sugam Bhardwaj 0111CE141107 53 567 4500 2 Sagar Kumar malviya 0111CE141083 40.27 484 9089 3 Yash Chourasiya 0111CE141118 29.43 375 17587 4 Harshal Jain 0111CE141035 35.8 358 19694 2018 GATE Qualified Student List Marks out of 100 Qualifying marks GATE Score Jitendra Tiwari 49.99 26.9 581 Sagar Malviya 40.29 24.2 484 Yash Chourasiya 29.43 17.9 375 Harshal Jain 27 26.9 340 2017 GATE Qualified Student List Marks out of 100 Qualifying marks GATE Score Ashish kishore 38.23 28 453 Anupam verma 28.54 24 347 Aditya Pandey 53 28 230 Yash Kulshreshtha 28 28 545 Abhishek Shrivastava 37 28 370
- “Future of Quantity Survey” 16/09/2019 A seminar on Future of Quantity Survey was organized on 16th of September 2019, for the final year students by department of civil engineering under Students Chapter, IEI. The keynote speaker for the event was Dr. Joseph V Thaniklal, Dean, RICS, Amity University, Noida. 01 Weeks training on STAAD PRO 23/09 to 27/09/19 1 week Certified STADD PRO Training is organised for students in collaboration with AUTO DESK. Visit to Water treatment plant at Nehru Nagar, Bhopal 9/28/2019 On 20th February, 2018 at 10.30 am students reached at water treatment plant, Nehru Nagar, Bhopal. At starting supervisor gave the basic knowledge about treatment process, they explain to students about that before arriving at your tap, water is treated at the Water Treatment Plant to remove sediment, bacteria, and other impurities. One week STTP (Design and Management of Civil Engineering projects through softwares) 14/10 /19 to 18/10/2019 A short Term training programme on “Design and Management of Civil Engineering projects through softwares” under Technical Education Quality Improvement Program (TEQIP-II) during 14th Oct-2019 – 18th Oct-2019 was organized by Civil Engineering Department at Technocrats Institute of technology, Bhopal. The workshops aims to give deep knowledge of software used for design in civil engineering projects. Smart Road Visit to Bharat mata Square, Bhopal 10/3/2019 The Project of Smart Road Initiated by BSCDCL Keeping in mind to served the peoples for road connectivity along with smart features like wise smart poles to serve internet facilities and lighting with CCTV vigilance, weather reporting and pollution level detector. These poles have been installed 5 in Nos. At equidistance starting from Bharat Mata square (Ch.0+000) to ploy technique square (Ch.2+200). Through this visit students get the knowledge about that project. National Conference (Recent Advancements and Innovations in Civil Engineering) 20/09/2019-21/09/2019 Department of Civil Engineering organizing the two days National Conference on Advancement and Innovations in Civil Engineering on dated 20/09/2019-21/09/2019. The conference aims to bring together engineers, academicians, researchers and other professionals having an interest in the field of Construction Management providing an excellent platform to exchange their experiences. Invited eminent speakers will present the outcome of the research carried out in recent times addressing the goal above as well as the future direction for research.The info. will appear next to the slider when it reaches that specific slide, or it can represent as a tab in tabs control. Please note that it is relative to the selected slider's template.
National level Competition on Bridge Model Construction
A National level completion is organized for civil engineering students on 26 April 2018. Ms. Shobha Khatri, General Manager, Metro Rail (M.P. Govt.) inaugurated the event with Director Dr. Bhupendra Verma. Bridge Models constructed by students are judged by Chief Guest Ms. Shobha Khatri on the basis of design, load bearing capacity and utility in real life.
National level Competition on Bridge Model Construction
A National level completion is organized for civil engineering students on 26 April 2018FDP on Advanced Materials And Technologies in Civil Engineering. This FDP was an national level platform where faculties, researchers & industry people were come together to contribute their original research or case study and their precious ideas, innovations and knowledge regarding various ﬁelds of civil engineering. Purpose of Event: after attending this FDP Programme Faculties having benefits : The Knowledge Of Advanced Materials knowledge of development, use and merits & demerits of new materials. Expouser and hand on trainings of modern equipments and Machines. Latest Softwares of Analysis & Designs.Total Station Work shop was conducted by the department of Civil on 12/11/2016.Site Visit at Bhojpur, 17/09/2016 ,III Semester students of Civil Engineering Department visited Bhojpur and enhanced their knowledge regarding different types of rock, fault, cleavage, folds, and various properties of rocksWork Shop on Bridge Designing 25 – 26/09/2017 A workshop is organised for CE students on Bridge Designing with the collaboration of Innovation Cell, IIT MumbaiAuto CAD Training 03-12/09/17 10 days Certified Auto Cad training is organised for CE VI Semester students in collaboration with AUTO DESK.
Interactive Session Student Chapter, Institute of Engineers
An interactive session of Dr Jitendra Saxena Director, (EEA), The Institution of Engineers (India) has been organised by Civil Engineering Department for faculty members, students and students chapters members of TIT College.
Environment Club Acvtivity
Environmental Club coordinated by Civil Engineering department of TIT, Bhopal has organised an activity under “Swach Bharat Abhiyan”
Site Visit at Kolar Dam
An Industrial visit organised for the students of second & third Year, Technocrats Institute of Technology Department of Civil Engineering at Kolar Dam, Bhopal on 20th Nov 2017.
Kolar dam is located on 35 kms south-west of Bhopal city. It is built on Kolar river which is a tributary river of Narmada river.
Kolar dam is located on 35 kms south-west of Bhopal city. It is built on Kolar river which is a tributary river of Narmada river. Height of Kolar dam is 45 meters and its water storage capacity is 265 MCM. Kolar water treatment plant avails approx. 153 MLD treated water to Bhopal city which is 60% of total water supply to city.
In this visit students got knowledge about working of Automatic Radial Gate spillways, inspection gallery and different features of gravity dam. Special thanks to Executive Engineer, Kolar dam pariyojna for his cooperation.
STADD Pro Training
12 - 23/04/2017
10 days training on STAAD PRO was conducted for Civil Engineering VI and VIII Sem Students .Students gone through drawing detailing and modelling on STAAD pro of various structures. STAAD pro is very useful tool and very widely accepted for analysis & modelling. By getting knowledge of STAAD pro students will have fair chance of merging in the construction industry as a professional.
Site Visit at Dahod Dam
Students of IV semester Civil Engineering visited Dahod dam on 8 April 2017 ( near Obedullaganj) learn about dam regarding sub basin, FTL, soil topography, submergence area.
Site Visit at RMC Plant
VIII Semester students of Civil Engineering Department visited RMC plant situated near Vidisha (M.P.), students get exposure regarding preparation, placing, transporting, and laying of concrete.
Site Visit at Kolar Dam
25/03/2017IV and VI Semester students of Civil Engineering Department visited Kolar Dam and enhanced their knowledge about dam gallery, opening of gate , weir, and dead level of dam
Site Visit of Sanchi & Halali Dam
Event Description: - The Great Stupa at Sanchi is the oldest stone structure in India. This stupa is built over the relics of Buddha. Here all the visible structures are not built in single run but in different phases. Excavation work in this site is still incomplete so we exactly cannot say about the time when last building work carried out at this site but as per current findings, construction work was carried out till 12th century. Here excavation work was carried out after 1818 and recent excavation work was done in year 1993-94. There is still scope for some more work.
Halali dam is known as Samrat Ashok Sagar Project. Halali dam is constructed across Halali River a tributary of Betwa River. Catchment area of the Halali dam project is 699 sq. km.
Purpose of Event: - To aware students about different types of rocks, available nearby Bhopal & Motivate them to continue research of these historical structures.Visit of Halali dam planned simultaneously to show students a series of reservoir over Betwa River.
Faculty Development Program
The Department of Civil Engineering have organized a faculty development program in association with SES Germany on " Laboratory and In-situ Testing of Civil Engineering Materials and Structural components " (LITCEM- 2016) from 5th Feb 2018 to 9th Feb 2018
International Conference – Recent Advancements in Civil Engineering 2016 [RAICE-16]
9th and 10th September 2016
This international conference is organized by department of Civil Engineering for students, faculties, researchers & industry people to come together and spread their recent research, precious ideas, innovations and knowledge among civil engineers. Prof. Dieter Zumpe (SES Germany) is the key member of conference advisory board. Almost 80 research and review papers are received from India and other countries and 20 papers were presented by researchers during different sessions.
Lecture on Fluid Mechanics- Turbulent Flow.
Date - 8th October 2016
An expert lecture has been delivered by Prof U. S. Vijaywargiya (Former Professor GEC Jabalpur) on turbulent flow which is a significant part of RGPV syllabus. It is also important for students regarding competitive exams.
Lecture on Archeological Monuments from Civil Engineering Point of view.
Date -24/09/2016Dr A K Pandey, Superintendent Engineer, Archeological Survey of India, presented very interesting lecture on archeological monuments for civil engineering students, to aware students about different archeological structures which are related to Civil Engg Design and Drawing.Work Shop on Bridge Designing 25 – 26/09/2017
A workshop is organised for CE students on Bridge Designing with the collaboration of Innovation Cell, IIT Mumbai. Mr. Chandrashekar on behalf of Innovation Cell, IIT Mumbai provides training to the students